Starting his glass blowing career in Barcelona, Salvador Ysart moved to France around 1909 where he worked for various glass companies. Salvador brought his wife and four sons to Scotland in 1915 after the outbreak of WWI. He joined Moncrieff’s North British Glassworks in Perth in 1922 with his oldest son Paul, making laboratory glass.
A vase was made by Salvador at the factory for a raffle price which caught the eye of Isobel Moncrieff, the Owner's wife, who saw the commercial potential. In 1923 the “Monart Ware” was created and was launched in 1924. The range was the sole responsibility of Salvador and his son Paul. In 1935, Salvador’s other sons (Augustine, Vincent and Antoine) joining Moncrieff’s. Initially production was slow but became popular, with Monart Ware being sold in London by Liberty’s & Co and Tiffany & Co as well as being exported to Australia and North America.
During the production at Moncrieff’s North British Glassworks, Isobel Moncrieff and Salvador were responsible for the colour combinations and Paul designed the shapes. Many pieces have specific speckles, whirls and stripes which were well known characteristics of Monart Glass, created using tools and techniques by the glassmakers. As well as the large range of vases, table lamps, bowls and ceiling shades were made.
The production stopped during WWII so in 1947, Salvador and his 2 younger sons set up Vasart Glass. Paul continued to work at Moncrieff’s North British Glassworks producing limited pieces, but production ceased in 1961.
Vasart was becoming popular by the 1950’s but Salvador Ysart died in 1955 followed by his son Augustine a year later, leaving Vincent running the business on his own. Production reduced and in 1964 Vasart was taken over by Teacher Whiskey (who made squashed whiskey bottles and ashtrays) and was rebranded, Strathearn Glass.